Friday, July 24, 2015

body image*

I've recently been struck with the thought of what health really is. During the summer we are often exposed to beautiful woman who have amazing bodies and can rock a bikini effortlessly, and I won't lie by saying I don't compare myself with these images. On the outside these woman are fit, healthy, and some people will go to unhealthy measures to become that way forgetting that every one's body is uniquely special. This does not mean starving or neglecting your body but rather loving and accepting it! Obsessing over your body is not healthy...health is treating your body with respect mentally and physically.


I will be the first to say that it is extremely difficult to not compare myself with stick-thin models, and I have to constantly remind myself of how amazing my body is and how lucky I am that it is healthy. When I think good thoughts about myself I realize that I tend to eat healthier and maintain an active lifestyle as opposed to when I think negatively. I feel the essence of living a healthy life is to love yourself unconditionally.

As I have mentioned before, I am an observer; some days when I am sitting around a public place I watch other woman and I will say it is so easy to know what woman loves herself and who is self-conscious. People who are confident walk taller, have a natural glow to them, and just seem to be able to smile easier than those who aren't. This has nothing to do with body shape or size because that's not what they are about. Their beauty comes from within regardless of how they look, there is something so captivating about them. That's why I believe it is important to love yourself for who you are and it will radiate out of you.

This concept may be difficult for some people, including myself, but it is important to start small. Everyday when you wake up think about one good thing about yourself. If you feel the negative thoughts coming just remind yourself about how amazing you really are. It will be hard at first but eventually it will become habitual. Life is too short not to love yourself. Just live your life the way it was intended..with arms wide open!
-Val

No comments:

Post a Comment